Help Jen Walk Again

Help Jen Walk Again

Friday, April 17, 2009

Trial Week at Project Walk

Hello friends and family! I had a very rigorous week at Project Walk. Thank you to all my St. Lucy’s girls and faculty and staff that raised money. All the proceeds went to paying for this one week of therapy. Thank you again for making that happen!


Project Walk was fantastic! I learned a lot of new stretches and exercises. My trainer, Jillannie, was impressed with my determination and motivation. During the evaluation on Monday, Jill was able to feel some slight muscle tension in my legs. This, she said, was a good first sign. They are going to work with these slight muscles and strengthen them in addition to creating new nerve links that will awaken dormant muscles. After the evaluation, Jill worked on my balance and core. This helps train my hips to stay steady when I stand. At this point, my hips still sway side to side, but slowly I am learning to hold it in place.


The equipments they have are amazing. Each has their own function and purpose. They have a treadmill with bars and straps to hold me up. I have two trainers on my side and each helping to bend my legs and move my foot to recreate the walking motion. They said they are trying to remind the legs their purpose. Every so often when they move it, I have a tickling sensation. Jill said this means a nerve is attempting to go up the spinal cord. Another machine is the gait trainer. This is similar to the treadmill but is more of a passive movement, where the machine walks for me. This is another way to trigger my muscle memory. They also have an FES bike which stands for functional electrical stimulation. To ride this bike, they have to place pads that stick to my legs (on the quads, hamstrings, and butt). Then with a wire connected to the pads, electrical shocks run though my legs which make my legs pedal the bike. A normal person can only handled 40%-60% of the shocks; I can barely feel 100%. Slowly but surely this bike helps with sensations and muscles in the legs. All this equipment help remind my legs their purpose. Project Walk looks like a gym, it has weights, spin bikes, leg machines; the only difference is that you can easily be motivated by looking at the person next to you. Even if they have a better or worst situation, you see them smiling as they take their first step or crawl around the room. Each time I see someone walking, I whisper to myself, “That’s going to be me. No matter how much pain an exercise gives my back, I have to push though to be the next one to walk. I have no other choice but to walk!”


All the trainers there are motivational and push me to do more. If they want 20 crunches, I give them 30. If they want me to lift 10 pound weights, I lift 15. I do not care how much pain I get. I am willing to go though as much pain and therapy as I physical can. If my body did not have to rest, I would do therapy 24 hours a day. I am so motivated because I cannot handle my family and friends being hurt just because I am hurt. I need to be strong and keep working. I have no other choice because the chair is not me. I am Jennifer BouLahoud. I am an active girl. I love to the craziest things that no one would ever dare to. I am Jennifer BouLahoud and I AM going to walk. Just wait and see!


The only way I can keep up with this therapy with your help. My family and friends are working on a website. This website will have donation page. If you want to see me up and running, please support the Help Jen Walk Again Foundation. Once the site is up and running I will let all of you know. Until then, thank you for all the support and prayers!


Love always,

The one,the only

Jen

Founder of Help Jen Walk Again

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited for the continuing oppertunities you have in your therapy, it always makes me sad when people who are movtivated to push towards the next level simply dont have the resources or family support. I'm glad that you DO have the incredible family and wonderful friends that support you in all your goals!

    Beyond all of your own hard work and determination (which is incredible and inspiring to me), I pray for the supernatural healing power that is in Christ Jesus. I believe and KNOW from experience that just has He can open or close doors that no man can, He can mend and heal the body like no physician could. I love my job and the work I do, but everyday I pray for His blessings and healing touch...that He would put the SUPER on my natural efforts to heal both people's pyhsical as well as cognitive aliments. I just have to give Him glory because I know that ultimately He created us and ultimatley He is our healer....I cant take credit, except to say that I put forth the effort that He asks of me wholeheartedly and have my little faith in a God that is big.

    So I pray specifically for supernatural healing of your nerves from your Thoracic spine down to your sacrum and everywhere in between! I pray also for you that you are a light in your world and to the people that God brings you in a position to influence, and that you may continue to live that out from your current position (in a wheelchair) and everything beyond.

    Remember Jennifer that you ARE NOT and NEVER WILL be defined by your wheelchair. Keep up the hard work...but have fun in the process.

    much love,
    Annmarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen,
    This is Steph Tahan. I just found your blog. Everything sounds so great! I'm glad you are giving that extra 10% with all your work. It's so nice to hear your updates because you are on top of everything. I get very excited when you write about the tickles in your legs. Yay! I love you!

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. JENNYYYY FROM THE BLOCK!

    This is the other Jenny :) I looked at your blog and I love it :) I am also so proud of you and I have no doubts at all that you will be walking soon. I am always praying for you and I know that God is always there for you right by your side as well as for your wonderful loving family. I love you very much! and always know that if you need anything I AM HERE FOR YOU SUPPORTING YOU :) :) I love reading about your updates.
    Jenny <3

    ReplyDelete