Help Jen Walk Again

Help Jen Walk Again

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Paraplegic Swimming


Hey Everyone!


At Project Walk-Claremont, I am privileged to have a few sessions in the swimming pool. This is a part of the new Aquatic Therapy Project Walk trainers are beginning to implement. A benefit of doing therapy in the water is the resistance it provides as well as the reduction of impact on the joints of my lower extremities.
 
In order to swim in the water, I utilize the majority of my upper body strength. When I swim, I have to tie my legs together with a belt in order to prevent them from veering side to side. After training in the Olympic pool for a couple of weeks, I am now able to do four laps (200 meters ~ 656 feet)!  
 
I also practice taking steps and use ankle weights to weigh down my legs. In the water, my legs do not lock out allowing me to walk more smoothly. Walking in water strengthens my hip flexors. Strong hip flexors ensure that my feet will not drag when I take steps.
 
As a child, I remember spending my summers with my siblings swimming at the San Dimas Swim and Racquet Club. It is a great feeling to be back in the water.

Click HERE to see a short video compilation of me swimming at Project Walk-Claremont.
 
Thank you for your continued support.
God bless and love always,
Jen Bou Lahoud

No comments:

Post a Comment